A book for kids that includes children and families of all makeups, orientations, and gender identities, Sex Is a Funny Word is an essential resource about bodies, gender, and sexuality for children ages 8 to 10 as well as their parents and caregivers. Much more than the "facts of life" or "the birds and the bees," Sex Is a Funny Word opens up conversations between young people and their caregivers in a way that allows adults to convey their values and beliefs while providing information about boundaries, safety, and joy.
Topics covered include:
- What is sex?
- Privacy, safety, and respect
- Boundaries regarding nudity, talking about sex, and touch
- Assigned sex, gender identity, and gender roles
- Names and functions of body parts
- Talking about the word "sexy"
- Protecting yourself against unwanted sexual touch and abuse
- Crushes, love, and sexy feelings
The eagerly anticipated follow up to Lambda-nominated What Makes a Baby, from sex educator Cory Silverberg and artist Fiona Smyth, Sex Is a Funny Word reimagines "sex talk" for the twenty-first century. Sex Is a Funny Word is the first sex education book for this age group that is inclusive of lesbian, gay, and bisexual experience as well as gender creative and gender nonconforming children.