Is it possible to “think off”? Ask Barbara Carrellas, and she’ll tell you yes. She believes we should expand the definition of an orgasm beyond the traditional, genital-focused one — she deals in “breath and energy” orgasms.
59-year-old Carrellas is a sex coach and the author of Urban Tantra. She contributed an essay to The Ultimate Guide to Kink and wrote the foreword to The Big Book of Orgasms. She was in an episode of TLC’s Strange Sex, being wheeled into an MRI machine to demonstrate her ability to have an orgasm with no physical contact. Sadly, the results were inconclusive — according to the Rutgers researcher, Carrellas “moved her head violently during her session in the scanner, precluding data analysis.”
As the idea of erotic breathwork is still fairly new to most people, we enjoyed reading the experience of Tracy Clark-Flory, staff writer at Salon, who visited Carrellas and attempted to “think off.”
She walked me through each chakra, all the way up through my head. When she wasn’t guiding me through visuals, she breathed along, letting out exhalations that sounded like bedroom moans. “You’re turning yourself on in a molecular sense,” she purred and suggested that I make a bit more sound. “It can be a sexy sound, it can be a power sound.” I let out an “ahh” that barely registered on my tape recorder.
Before long, she instructed me to take “fuller, faster breaths.” My lips were dry, my mouth tight and vomiting seemed a distinct possibility. I began to notice that my hands were tingly. My three outer fingers felt curled tight, like I was involuntarily pointing . . . While my hands didn’t feel particularly good, the sensation was remarkable and unlike anything I’ve ever felt. It was an out-of-body experience or, more accurately, as Carrellas puts it, “a deeply in-body experience.” I liked it and was scared by it, all at once.
She had me take three deep breaths and then hold my breath while clenching and pressing my body into the floor. “No expectations. Exactly the right thing will happen in exactly the right time-space continuum,” she said. “When you’re ready, let go.”
Turns out, a lot of what Clark-Flory experienced are classic symptoms of hyperventilation — over-breathing. But researchers believe that hyperventilation can lead to altered consciousness. In fact, a few have even made the connection between hyperventilation and enhanced arousal levels. In one study, women who hyperventilated prior to watching an erotic film had “significantly higher levels of genital sexual arousal” during the screening than those who didn’t hyperventilate.
All Clark-Flory knows is that she experienced something unique. Carrellas, meanwhile, has a rebuttal for the hyperventilation claims: “People say, ‘Oh, well, isn’t this just hyperventilation?’ And I say, ‘If it is, it’s the good kind.’”
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- March 12, 2014 – Partners in Passion: Becoming More Than Soul Mates
- March 23, 2014 – Let's Play with Rope Tonight!: A Friendly Introduction to Bondage
- March 30, 2014 – Erotic Breathwork
- April 2, 2014 – Tease a Peel: Classic Burlesque Peeling Techniques
- April 17, 2014 – Beyond Monogamy
- April 23, 2014 – Full-Bodied Fellatio
- Honored to have had @DuckyDuckyDoo back in town this last week. Thank you, Ducky, for always making us laugh—and teaching us new things! :)
- Need something fun to do tonight? @duckyduckydoo is in town and there are still spots left in her G-spot class! http://t.co/xqPeNXG2Se
- Hard work but somebody has to do it — we watch @ErikaLust's X Confessions & report on what each scene has to offer: http://t.co/MPzt6jyfmG
- March newsletter: cute new toys, blog posts about @followcrave + @AskDrRuth, @ErikaLust's latest, tons of classes! http://t.co/AVBPFZ7U0G
- You've probably heard of @AskDrRuth, but did you know that she has transitioned into the digital age remarkably well? http://t.co/FlsVxmqOLn
- You'd think the penises would get boring... but they only get better and better. http://t.co/LWeamJLXck
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- Sex Worker Outreach Coalition
- The Portland Mercury