Researchers Barry Komisaruk and Nan Wise at Rutgers have discovered that orgasms increase blood flow to more parts of the brain than mental exercises. Orgasms even bring nutrients and oxygen to the brain to keep it healthy! Those measly little puzzles, on the other hand, only increase brain activity in certain regions.
The study involved female subjects lying down in fMRI machines and bringing themselves to orgasm, which obviously presented some challenges for participants. Kayt Sukel, a volunteer for the study, has written a few pieces about her experience, complete with a picture of the “Orgasm Mask” she had to wear:
Komisaruk’s associate, PhD student and sex therapist Nan Wise, walked me through the procedure. She said to help keep movement to a minimum (and the data clean), I would be fitted with a breathable plastic mesh helmet that would be screwed to the scanner bed. I’d be locked in and need the assistance of others to get out of the contraption.
. . . “I know you can do it. Just practice,” she said. “You know what they say. Practice makes perfect!”
For the next two weeks, I did just that. To help optimise my body movement for fMRI, I attached a small bell – an ornament belonging to my cat – to my forehead with some duct tape.
Wise was right. With practice I diminished any jingling sound to something manageable, no matter how raucous I may have felt on the inside. And once she and Komisaruk had bolted me to the scanner bed, while it wasn’t easy to work up to an orgasm, I found it wasn’t quite as difficult as I had imagined.
We thank you for your public service, Kayt! And are impressed with your ingenuity.
Of course, it probably takes a lot longer to solve a crossword puzzle than an orgasm lasts, but… that’s just a good reason to have more and more of them.
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- March 1, 2015 – Let's Play with Rope Tonight!: A Friendly Introduction to Bondage
- March 11, 2015 – Tease a Peel: Classic Burlesque Peeling Techniques
- March 18, 2015 – Bon Appetit!: The Fine Art of Cunnilingus
- April 1, 2015 – Foolin' Around with Emily Nagoski & Erika Moen
- April 12, 2015 – Full-Bodied Fellatio
- April 23, 2015 – Renaming Desire: Trans/Non-Trans Sex Revisited
- We're so excited to be hosting a fun talk and Q&A with @emilynagoski and @ErikaMoen in April! http://t.co/oPNnFZCUWU
- Thx @SossityWrites for such kind words about us in @PQmonthly!! We were happy to help you pick a toy for your needs. http://t.co/gwIgPhB0wj
- Yup, we're open regular hours today! 11 am - 7 pm. Need a late V-Day gift? Have a gift certificate burning a hole in yr pocket? Come see us!
- Have you caught @tripo's Becoming Dr. Ruth yet? There are still showings through the end of the month! http://t.co/tKYCHGmGrG
- Last day of Small Shops, Big Hearts on Mississippi! Stop by for chocolates and V-Day shopping; visit our neighbors! http://t.co/jPjKCLhipb
- Happy happy Valentine's Day!! We'll be staying open until 9 pm tonight at both our locations in case you need us! http://t.co/9nGBHvTMXw
- It's the day before Valentine's Day, so we're staying open an hour later at both locations, tonight & tomorrow night! http://t.co/b3zuIwjkcw
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- Sex Worker Outreach Coalition
- The Portland Mercury