Researchers Barry Komisaruk and Nan Wise at Rutgers have discovered that orgasms increase blood flow to more parts of the brain than mental exercises. Orgasms even bring nutrients and oxygen to the brain to keep it healthy! Those measly little puzzles, on the other hand, only increase brain activity in certain regions.
The study involved female subjects lying down in fMRI machines and bringing themselves to orgasm, which obviously presented some challenges for participants. Kayt Sukel, a volunteer for the study, has written a few pieces about her experience, complete with a picture of the “Orgasm Mask” she had to wear:
Komisaruk’s associate, PhD student and sex therapist Nan Wise, walked me through the procedure. She said to help keep movement to a minimum (and the data clean), I would be fitted with a breathable plastic mesh helmet that would be screwed to the scanner bed. I’d be locked in and need the assistance of others to get out of the contraption.
. . . “I know you can do it. Just practice,” she said. “You know what they say. Practice makes perfect!”
For the next two weeks, I did just that. To help optimise my body movement for fMRI, I attached a small bell – an ornament belonging to my cat – to my forehead with some duct tape.
Wise was right. With practice I diminished any jingling sound to something manageable, no matter how raucous I may have felt on the inside. And once she and Komisaruk had bolted me to the scanner bed, while it wasn’t easy to work up to an orgasm, I found it wasn’t quite as difficult as I had imagined.
We thank you for your public service, Kayt! And are impressed with your ingenuity.
Of course, it probably takes a lot longer to solve a crossword puzzle than an orgasm lasts, but… that’s just a good reason to have more and more of them.
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- July 27, 2014 – Let's Play with Rope Tonight!: A Friendly Introduction to Bondage
- August 7, 2014 – Full-Bodied Fellatio
- August 20, 2014 – Back That Ass Up!: Anal Sex 101
- September 10, 2014 – Erotica reading with Rachel Kramer Bussel!
- September 14, 2014 – More Than Two Reading with Franklin Veaux and Eve Rickert
- September 24, 2014 – The Joys of Toys!
- September 28, 2014 – Prostate Pleasure
- Meet fellow PDX queers this Tuesday night at PDX-Q! Casual, open-minded social gathering, w/delicious drinks at Crush http://t.co/d8UsfA4bul
- We're thrilled that @ErikaMoen drew such a lovely comic about us, & that YOU guys voted us the # 1 sex shop in PDX! http://t.co/bEe09UahtC
- We're hosting 2 FREE book readings — 1 erotica hosted by @raquelita, 1 for @FranklinVeaux & @EveRickert's poly book! http://t.co/MzrP5UUNYb
- The fist bump heard 'round the world — and for good reason!! Check it: http://t.co/21F0FW4hMZ
- Oh Joy Sex Toy creator @ErikaMoen attended two of our classes and immortalized her experience in digital comic form!! http://t.co/nqG4R6htCL
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- Sex Worker Outreach Coalition
- The Portland Mercury