The majority of sex toys we carry are made of pure silicone, so it’s no surprise we have a special place in our hearts for it. It’s an extremely versatile material, and because it can be soft, silicone is ideal for anal beads, double-ended dildos, packers, and any time a more yielding material is desired. Gotta love that!
Solid silicone toys (like dildos) are made by pouring liquid silicone into a mold, letting it set, prying it out of the mold (beware the suction!), and trimming the excess silicone bits. Other toys, like vibrators, are coated in silicone. But the really important part comes before the production line, when a company decides to use 100% medical-grade silicone — the purest of the pure — rather than settling for a cheaper and less body-safe material.
Speaking of cheap materials, watch out for mislabeled toys at shops that don’t carefully curate their selection. The sex toy industry is unregulated, and any manufacturer can slap the words “100% silicone” or “phthalate-free” on their packaging without ever having to prove such a claim. That’s why it’s so important to shop from a place like us that carries only body-safe toys.
We previously highlighted glass and why it rocks as a sex toy material, and now it’s time to discuss pure silicone. Here are our top reasons for loving silicone sex toys!
Silicone is the only soft sex toy material that is totally non-porous. Unfortunately, a lot of toxic toys are still being produced, many containing phthalates (we don’t carry any of them). Unsafe materials like jelly can degrade, melt, off-gas, harbor bacteria, and even cause allergic reactions. Silicone, which is phthalate-free and non-porous, will do nothing of the sort. If you want a body-safe sex toy with some squish to it, silicone is the material you want.
Tons of toys are made out of it. Really, practically any type of toy! A plethora of dildos, vibrators, anal toys, prostate toys, kegel exercisors, vibrator attachments, ball gags, STP devices, and even the Moon Cup are made of silicone. So if you’re on the hunt for a silicone toy, the selection is vast — more vast than with any other body-safe material.
It comes in many formulations. Unlike other materials which tend to have the same texture and rigidity across the board (sorry, stainless steel, we know you can’t help it!), silicone varies quite a bit from company to company. Luxury vibrator manufacturers such as LELO, Jimmyjane, and Je Joue use silicone that is silky and firm to the touch, while Fun Factory vibrators have more cushion and a more matte texture.
Dildo makers vary in their silicone formulations as well. Vixen Creations‘ dildos are the squishiest, while Tantus and Happy Valley dildos have less give. Some silicone toys, like the Harmony and Silk, have a highly glossy sheen that makes for super smooth insertion and thrusting. Matte toys, like the Share, create more friction and drag.
Additionally, a couple companies make dual-density silicone: Tantus’ O2 and Vixen Creations’ VixSkin. These toys are characterized by a softer outer layer and a hard inner core (two different formulations of silicone), giving them stability coupled with a plush feel. These are some of the most realistic toys out there.
Silicone toys are colorful! What’s your favorite color? There’s likely a silicone sex toy out there for you (yes, even if your answer was “atomic orange” or “bright yellow“). Fun Factory in particular is known for its adventurous and whimsical color choices. Vixen Creations has several skin tones, as well as neon options. But silicone isn’t limited to solid colors. Vamp and Happy Valley toys, for instance, are swirled.
Silicone is odorless and flavorless. While not an asset particular to silicone, this comes into play with silicone because it’s the most likely material to be getting up close and personal with a mouth and nose. In effect, giving a blowjob to a silicone strap-on will not leave you with a rubbery taste in your mouth or a rancid smell lingering in your nostrils (toxic toys, on the other hand, will). That’s why the silicone ball gag works so well!
You can clean them a multitude of ways. Medical-grade silicone can withstand very high temperatures. So, just like a pure silicone baking pan, a silicone toy (with no mechanical parts) can be put in the dishwasher or even just boiled for 5-10 minutes to sterilize. A hand wash with warm water and antibacterial soap works too, or you can use a 10% bleach, 90% water solution. Whichever works for you!
Silicone toys and harnesses go together like PB&J. The majority of harness-compatible dildos are made of silicone, since other body-safe materials tend to be very stiff and not exactly easy to wield in a harness. So, if you’re looking for a dildo to use during strap-on play, you’ll likely be in the market for a silicone one. Just make sure the dildo will fit comfortably through the O-ring in your harness of choice!
Have any more questions about silicone sex toys? Let us know! And as always, come down to the shop to squeeze and caress our silicone toys to feel the differences for yourself.
What do you love about silicone?
Welcome to She Bop’s blog!
She Bop is a women-owned sex toy boutique specializing in body safe products and education. Our mission is to promote healthy and safe sexuality by offering quality products and educational workshops in a fun and comfortable environment. She Bop welcomes people of all genders and sexual orientations.
- February 5, 2015 – The Joys of Toys!
- February 19, 2015 – Even More Pleasure, Power, and Pain: Expanding Your BDSM Experiences
- February 25, 2015 – Back That Ass Up!: Anal Sex 101
- March 1, 2015 – Let's Play with Rope Tonight!: A Friendly Introduction to Bondage
- March 11, 2015 – Tease a Peel: Classic Burlesque Peeling Techniques
- March 18, 2015 – Bon Appetit!: The Fine Art of Cunnilingus
- April 23, 2015 – Renaming Desire: Trans/Non-Trans Sex Revisited
- This Tuesday, join our sex educator AJ for a fireside chat about healthy sexuality led by @PWCL! Plus silent auction! http://t.co/QsTlJaIivW
- Rad interview w makers of tasteful, well-acted porn for women: @ErikaLust @JackyStJames @AngieRowntree @Anna_FrolicMe http://t.co/qShPu0Ee4K
- Portland reigns supreme when it matters most. ;) http://t.co/VEKQttJRJM
- Date night doesn't have to meet going out to dinner or taking a stroll in the park. This is a great list. http://t.co/wIfqtE6pWc
- Last day to support @IOWBooks this month while shopping with us. 10% of your purchase will go directly to them today! http://t.co/ON049Bd5xd
- "My body is a road map of everything I've lived through. Do I mourn my body? Yes. But now it's just a new chapter." http://t.co/y0bpJxT3YT
- It's about damn time. http://t.co/WmqnJbTy1Y
- Want to support the incredible work done by @IOWBooks? Shop with us today and 10% of your purchase will go to them! http://t.co/ON049Bd5xd
- YES, we are open today! Regular hours at both locations, which means we're here until 7 p.m. Come peruse our wares!
- Basic Rights Oregon
- Bitch Magazine
- Bradley Angle
- BUST Magazine
- Dirty Playground
- In Other Words
- Mississippi Studios
- Orchestre L'Pow!
- Pants-Off Productions
- Portland Oregon Women's Film Festival
- Portland Women's Crisis Line
- Progressive Pleasure Club
- Pucker Up
- Q Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Quest Center for Integrative Health
- Raphael House
- Sex Worker Outreach Coalition
- The Portland Mercury